THE SEVEN Rs OF NETWORKING
Not everyone is naturally extroverted and even if you are, entering a room full of strangers and trying to strike up conversations can be daunting. Hopefully the below will provide a few tips that can help you make the most out of your next industry event.
1 – Get Ready
This sounds self-evident however a couple of minutes spent pre-event will work wonders for your confidence once you hit that show floor. What day and time is it on? How will you get there? Will breakfast be served as part of registration or do you need to eat beforehand? (I’m always up for a 2ndbreakky). What’s the dress code? Do you have your business cards? Will you need to do some work / take notes whilst at the event and thus need to grab your spare power cord from the cupboard by the door? Being prepped and ready to go will ensure you don’t arrive flustered and can put your best face forward.
2 – Do your Research
3 – Be in the Right place
4 and 5 – Be Relevant and React to what they’re saying
6 – Reflect and follow-up post event
7 – if all else fails, there’s always the Red wine at the cocktail party and a little bit of liquid courage never hurt anyone.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
National Partnership Manager
I’m a passionate, experienced General Manager who enjoys building and coaching sales teams to success. With an MBA from Australia’s leading business school (AGSM) and 19 years experience in Australia and the UK, I have recently joined Insentra, a rapidly growing Australian success story in the world of channel services. I’ve enjoyed a varied career in IT, building and driving channel strategies for companies such as Microsoft, McAfee and ArrowECS. I’m happiest when helping successful teams to solve problems and truly believe in the mantra of “love what you do and do what you love.”
Key accomplishments by functional area:
– Managing Director level experience and responsibility across APAC (Webroot)
– End-to-end P&L responsibility (Arrow)
– People management responsibility across sales, marketing, finance and operations (Arrow)
– Built and managed a 9-person SMB sales team across three different APAC timezones (McAfee)
– Directly owned and exceeded sales targets of up to $120m (Microsoft, McAfee, Webroot)
– Responsible for channel execution including distribution rebate structures, MDF, training and readiness, compliance and program delivery (Arrow, Microsoft, Tech Pacific, McAfee)
– Experienced in all facets of B2B marketing – segment, brand, product, online and events (MicroWarehouse, Microsoft)
– Sales management including hiring, coaching, forecasting, pipeline control and CxO engagement (Arrow, McAfee)
– Authorised media spokesperson and experienced in public relations engagement (Microsoft, McAfee, Webroot)
– Directly owned marketing budgets of $3.5m (Microsoft)